How We Began
EMPACT Africa was conceived in Chipata, Zambia, at a workshop produced by the Reformed Church in Zambia (RCZ), one of the largest protestant denominations in the country. The workshop was sponsored by Westlake Hills Presbyterian Church, and one of WHPC’s members, David Barstow, attended the workshop as an observer. At that point, several threads came together:
- The stigma and discrimination associated with HIV and AIDS are a critical barrier to effective prevention and treatment;
- Local pastors in sub-Saharan Africa are uniquely positioned to fight the stigma and discrimination
- Training can empower local pastors to become change agents in their communities
Since that point, we have worked with the RCZ to refine the workshops and follow-up mechanisms, and have completed a series of workshops to empower the local pastors and lay leaders for all of the RCZ congregations in the entire country.
After completing the RCZ project, we have expanded to work with other denominations in other countries. Â We are currently focused on four denominations in South Africa and Lesotho.
- Executive Director: [encode_email email=”email@example.com/main” display=”David Barstow”]
- Mail address: PO Box 164333, Austin, TX 78716